Thursday, February 28, 2008

Adventure seeker

Ok, so I never considered myself an adventure seeker...but I am starting to realized that I am. My first great adventure was in 2002 when I decided it would be fun to go skydiving. My mom's friend Dave invited me to go to Ogden and participate in this great little adventure. It was his birthday and he rented out the hanger, provided a band, and had Famous Dave cater it. So I drove up from SLC and had the time of my life. I don't know how many of you have been skydiving, but the first time you go you are strapped to an experienced diver. You hook yourself up to the diver before getting in the airplane and then once you reach the desired altituted you are suppose to slide over to the door where you put your feet on a platform that is attached to the plane. You usually rock back and forth and then you just fall out of the plane. The only problem I had was that my diver had such a big belly that I couldn't sit in the plane and reach the platform. So really I was just hanging out in the air with nothing around me, until my diver decided to fall out too. The rush that you feel when you are free falling, is absolutely amazing. Little did I know that my love for adventure was born that day.

The next little adventure came during the summer of 2007 when I was in Europe. Lori and I were in Switzerland and we were looking for something to do. So we decided that it would be fun to go paragliding. I mean...how cool is it to say that you have been paragliding around the Swiss Alps? So we rode in a van up to the top of the mountain and got strapped up to our guide. Once you are hooked in you run towards the end of the cliff and basically just run off the mountain. As soon as you run of the side of the mountain the wind catches your sail and you just sore. If you ever want to feel like a bird...you need to go paragliding. you basically just catch the wind drifts like birds do. You go around in large circles slowly circling upwards. Then you can do dives and tricks to go all over the place....then you catch an air drift and start circling back up. The view from up there was absolutely amazing. It was so gorgeous. But I must admit that paragliding is not for the faint in heart (or maybe I should say those with a weak stomach). You do end up going around and around in circles a lot and get to pretty high elevations. But don't worry...they have puke bags...just in case you need them.

The last and most recent adventure was while were in Africa this past December. I have always wanted to go bungee jumping...but never knew where. I guess you could say that I always wanted to do it somewhere fun. I mean...paragliding in Switzerland sounds so much cooler than skydiving in Ogden. :) So when we found out that we had the opportunity to bungee jump not only in Africa...but into the Nile, I jumped (literally) at the opportunity. I went first (out of our group of four) because I was the one who was the most excited. I sat there and got strapped in and felt extremely confident about it. That is, until I got to the end of the platform and looked at how far I had to fall. Once I jumped though all fear left. It was the most exhilarating feeling I have ever had.



So basically I am in search of the next big adventure. Let me know if you think of anything. As a disclaimer...it is true that I went White Water Rafting while in Africa...but I am going to save that for another post.

1 comment:

amanda said...

you go girl! that is so cool and looks like so much fun. one of these days i will do somethings crazy and cool like that.