Sunday, November 13, 2011

#4- Run a 5k with my dad

I have officially checked one of my 30x30 items off the list. On Saturday (Nov. 12) my dad and I ran in our first official 5k. Yep, that is right. I have run Ragnar and a 10k Mud Run, but I had never run a 5k. When I was looking for a 5k to sign up for, I remembered that the DATC had one. About a month ago I had to run to the DATC to meet with my instructor. While I was there I grabbed a brochure about the run and brought it home to my dad. That night we signed up for the run.

I hoped that by signing up for the race, it would help give me the motivation to come home after work and run. However, I was a little too optimistic. I wasn't able to train for it as much as I had hoped to. The morning of the race came and I was excited to go out and run with my dad. Imagine my surprise to come upstairs and see that it was raining! It was in the low 40's and raining hard. I wasn't worried about running in the cold, but I didn't want to have to be cold and wet! Luckily for us, the rain died off before the start of the race and it was perfect running weather.

My dad did a fabulous job. He is amazing! He kept pushing me and motivating me. We crossed the finish line together and I couldn't be more proud of him. We finished in 33 minutes. My dad came in 2nd in his age division. I still can't believe what a good job he did. We are going to turn this little run into our family tradition. So everyone can start preparing now, next year around this time...for the family 5k!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'll do it with you next year!

Katie said...

That is so fun. You two rock! Love you!