Saturday, November 10, 2007

My true calling in life

So thanks to my co-worker...turned best friend....turned other half...I have found my true calling in life. Here is the low down. While Melissa and I were in Africa last summer, she convinced me that I needed to buy a plane ticket and fly back to California with her. She is from the LA area and was planning on flying to Cali the morning after we got home from Africa. I have found that I am definitely an impulse buyer...so of course I thought "what the heck" and I bought the ticket. We landed in SLC about 9:00 Thursday night and I had to drive up to Logan to get stuff to take to California (i.e...cute clothes and a swimming suit), and then drive back to SLC that night so we could catch our 8:00 am flight the next morning.

Mel promised me the best weekend of my life...and she was right. We basically lived on the beach. Now...a little side note...this was the first time I had been to the beach since I was 5 and my family went to Florida. I forgot how beautiful it was. We surfed every day that we were there (except Sunday) and had a BBQ on the beach as well. It was great. It was then and there that I found my true calling in life...i was ment to be a beach bum forever!

Now don't let me fool you. I wasn't a great surfer at first (I don't even know if I am that good now). Swimming in the ocean with the waves was harder than swimming in a pool. I didn't get up on my first try. I could hardly sit up on the board the first time I went out. But with practice I slowly got the hang of it. We were enjoying ourselves so much that I almost missed my flight home because we stayed at the beach longer than we planned. Basically my flight left LAX at 5:30 and I got to my gate at 5:23...that is what I like to call "cutting it a little close".

Coming back to Utah and being a little land locked (ok a lot land locked) was hard at first. So when Mel asked if I wanted to go back to Cali with her for her friends wedding I jumped on the opportunity. Again thanks to my impulse buying I got online and bought an airline ticket. This time around we didn't spend as much time on the beach...but the time that we did spend was great fun. I guess you could call me a pro surfer now...in fact...I am thinking of quiting my job and turning pro :). I figure if Mel's sister was good enough to go pro and I use her sister's board then I am good enough to go pro.

So if you don't hear from me for a while it could be because I am quiting life and living on the beach.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Interesting wording about the best weekend...especially since you called her your "other half" ;) j/k That's cool about surfing...I will never do it because I don't like lots of water!

amanda said...

so fun. i loved surfing back home. i do get a little sarced about sharks.. just because i have seen a real one in the ocean but other than that i love it. good for you. next time we go to hawaii i told eric he has to do it.

Anonymous said...

I would love to know what sarced is. It sounds like fun!

"Hey y'all, let's go get sarced!"