Monday, February 16, 2009

Back in 1994

Back in 1994 when I was just a little ol' 6th grader at Brooks Middle Magnet, it was required that every student took Home Ec. The semester was divided into three sections...a cooking portion, a sewing portion and a lecture portion. Well for the sewing part of the class we had to make a pillow. We had to pick out the fabric and bring it to class and sew around the fabric to make a square...thus making the pillow. I know, it sounds pretty difficult...but knowing me I probably aced it. Well I decided it was time to tackle that little project again...but on a much larger scale.

For Christmas last year, my mom made me a jean blanket that I absolutely love. It keeps me so warm! Well I was trying to figure out what to do for my friend's birthday and the thought came to me that I should make her a blanket as well. She seems to be cold all the time so what could be better?

I got together with my mom once a week and got to work on the blanket. I know it isn't perfect, but I finished it. I have to give myself a pat on the back...after 15 years...I still got it! Here is the finished project.




Luckily my mom helped me out a ton. She had all the squares already cut out so I just had to sew them together. She also helped me tie it together and then pinned all the edge together so that I could just come and sew. So a special shout out to my mom for helping me out so much.

Missy really liked it and I think it will keep her plenty warm up in Logan. I also had a little material left so I made a pillow (but I forgot to snap a photo). So who knows...maybe I will pick up sewing after all. :)

1 comment:

tara said...

I need to finish my jean blanket!