Monday, March 17, 2008

Les Miserables

I don't know if I grew up in a hole or what, but until January of this year I had never heard of Les Miserables. Ok, I had heard about it in passing, but I didn't know the plot and I had never heard the music. In January my brothers high school put on the production of Les Mis and since both of them were in it, I drove down to Layton and went to one of their shows. As I sat there and watched the first act, I was completely lost. I had to have my step mom explain what was going on during intermission. I decided I was going to tackle to book.
I don't know how many of you have attempted to read the book...but it is super HUGE. The unabridge version contains 1488 pages! My goal this year was to read two books a year, but because Les Mis is so huge I decided it could could for three books. I've now been reading 8 weeks and I am on page 1084. So I don't have much left!

I also was able to track down someone who had the music. I listened to it pretty much all day yesterday and even when I slept I had the music playing in my dreams. Crazy! I highly recommend this book to anyone (if you have some time)...or just go see the play. You get the idea.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Wow, Lex. You'd never heard of the plot or the music from Les Mis until you were 25?! I admit I never read the book b/c we didn't have time in Sophomore English, but we discussed the plot, watched the movie and had a quiz. And I've heard people say Utah is lacking in its education of youth... ;) How did the rest of your Cali trip end up?